Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Noise

I regularly go through my Twitter account and... well... it's like this...  I Unfollow people.  Don't look at me like that.  You know you want to do it too.  Here's the deal; you can only process so much information.  Did you know there is more information in a single issue of USA Today than the average person, hundreds of years ago, would come across in their entire lifetime (a fact I got from the Leadership 101 Series by John Maxwell.  Great books, btw)?  I don't want to put useless filler in front of my eyes.  You might have a great point of view, maybe even say things that would change my life if I were listening, but if I'm not listening/reading/watching you then there's no reason for you to be on my Twitter, or my Facebook, or my blog list, or my IM buddy list, or my cell phone, or my email, or... well, you get the idea. 

Seth Godin had a post on his blog recently concerning signal to noise ratio.  I wholeheartedly agree.  We put so much unused information into our head that what we could use and often times need is lost in the static around it. From his post:

Until you remove the noise, you're going to miss a lot of signal.

As Switchfoot so wisely said, if you're Adding To The Noise, turn off that song.

No comments:

Post a Comment